How dangerous can e-liquid be for pets?

E-liquids are dangerous for pets Last February, a 3-month and a half old Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy died in England after ingesting some e-liquid. The pup’s owner, Keith Sutton, a 56-year old driving instructor  had left a bottle of e-liquid on his dining table – we’ve all done the same at least once in our lives -, and the poor puppy named Ivy who ate it died the following day after a very hard night at the vet.

Animals are like babies: they cannot read or understand safety warnings on the bottles. So the safest option would be to store e-liquids, like laundry pods, out of the reach of children and pets.

The story could end here but Ivy hasn’t been the only victim this year and the frequency of accidents is on the rise. Several other dogs have ingested e-liquid such as Elton, a 8-month old puppy who bit into an e-liquid refill for cigalike that fell from the hands of his owner. It only took him a couple of seconds to swallow it. Fortunately enough, he was saved by the vets.

Lorna Siddons, the head of the White Cross Vets, warns vapers: “Elton was extremely lucky because he received immediate attention and we knew exactly what had happened. We gave him some medicine to counteract the poison, a coal-based treatment to ail his stomach and he made a full recovery”.

How dangerous can e-liquid be for pets?

Vets are sounding the alarm to sensitize the 4 million British vapers about how dangerous their e-liquid can be for their pets. The best solution to protect your pets is to store your e-liquids in a closed and high-up space such as a pharmacy cupboard.

Jeremie
Jeremie is a journalist who has been writing about e-cigarettes for four years. Always on the lookout for new trends, he has already tested hundreds of different products.