Fire caused by an exploding e-cigarette?

 Fire caused by an exploding e-cigarette?

Tallmadge D’Eli house. Photo WFLA

In Florida, an exploding e-cigarette battery may have been the cause of a deadly fire. A vaping device reportedly caught fire, which caused a house fire and the death of a 38-year-old man. An investigation still needs to be conducted to determine the exact origin of the fire.

Tallmadge D’Eli house. Photo WFLA

The fire occurred last Saturday in St. Petersburg, Florida. A man was found dead in the rubble of his home. Firefighters believe that an exploding lithium battery may have started the fire. The fire most likely started in a bedroom and then spread rapidly to the rest of the house.

The deceased, Tallmadge D’Elia, was found on the second floor of the house. Firefighters were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm. They believe a faulty vaping device was the origin of the fire.


Faulty batteries?

Initial findings suggest that the e-cigarette’s lithium battery were the cause of the fire. Indeed, a manufacturing defect could be the cause of the explosion. An autopsy and an investigation are yet to be conducted.

In recent years, lithium batteries have been the cause of several incidents. For example, in January 2017 in Idaho, a battery exploded and caused second-degree burns in the homeowner’s home. Another similar case occurred in New York in 2016.

According to Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, these are rare and isolated cases resulting from improper use of vaping devices. The purchase of second-hand lithium batteries that do not conform to regulations has also been mentioned as a cause for the explosions.


Pauline est connue à BlogVape pour son palais. Amatrice d'e-liquides rares et pro du marché, elle vape avant-tout pour les saveurs.

Laisser un commentaire

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap